Both the seller and the buyer have certain responsibilities and obligations that they need to address during a property transaction before the property can change ownership. And both parties should prepare financially before they either selling or buying a property because there are extra costs, legally and otherwise, on both sides.

The buyer is responsible for the transfer fees and the bond costs if registering a bond with a finance provider. Also, when a property is bought and transferred into the buyer’s name, the government levies a tax on the property transaction based on the value of the property. However, properties valued below R750 000 are exempt from paying transfer duty, and properties bought for more than R750 000 are charged on a sliding scale percentage relative to the property’s value. Transfer duty is paid to the conveyancing attorneys about one month before the transfer of the property into the buyer’s name. This is why you should have money saved up before you even begin to look for your new home.

The seller is responsible for paying the agent’s commission, which is usually deducted from the money received from the sale of the property. The seller also pays for all clearance certificates for the property such as an Electrical Certificate of Compliance (ECOC), which must not be older than two years and must cover all electrical installations during this time. Sellers should note that electric fences are covered under a separate certificate. Other clearance certificates will include a water and plumbing certificate, plus a gas certificate and beetle certificate (to check for insects such as wood borers that can cause damage to a property), if applicable. If no repairs are required in order to obtain the certificates then the seller must be prepared to pay for this, too.

By law, the seller must provide the buyer with an electrical compliance certificate that covers the permanent electrical installation – this means everything from where the Eskom cables join the property up to the point where the cables end at the appliances (plug point, light fitting and the permanent connection at a stove, pool pump, air con unit or geyser). In other words, the actual appliances that run from these points do NOT form part of the compliance certificate, no matter whether they are temporary or fixed appliances.

Fixed appliances are those that run from the permanent connection point and will include the stove. This essentially means that you cannot expect a compliance certificate from the seller. However, since the stove is a fixed asset (it gets sold with the house) if you are concerned about its working condition, you are entitled to negotiate with the seller that they repair it before you sign the sale agreement. The seller should by law disclose any issues with fixed appliances to the interested buyers.

Do not sign the sale agreement until you have had a home inspector take a look at the problem as well as inspect the rest of the property. You will be required to pay the inspector but it is a worthwhile cost as it may save you hundreds of thousands of Rands later on. If the inspector confirms there is an issue with the roof or any other part of the structure, book a FREE telephonic consultation with Bert Smith Property Attorneys & General Conveyancers.

As property attorneys and conveyancers, it’s our job to make sure you are not signing something that could come back to bite you later. For example, signing a disclosure document that states the house you are agreeing to buy is in good condition can land you in a lot of expensive trouble if the roof needs to be replaced or there is something else wrong with the house that will be expensive to repair. We can help you negotiate a sale agreement where the amount it costs to repair the roof is deducted from the purchase price.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

2016 Bert Smith Incorporated